Changing Employers on a 457 Visa

Changing Employers on a 457 Visa

We get it: some jobs don’t always work out, and changing employers can sometimes the best option for you.
But what effect does changing employers on a 457 visa have?
And does it affect your chances of becoming a permanent resident?
Here’s what you need to know.

Making the switch

You can switch employers at any time on a 457 visa, provided you abide by your employment contract, including giving your current employer proper notice.
However, there are a few rules:

  • You must find a new employer within 90 days of ceasing employment with your previous employer
  • Your new employer must be an approved sponsor
  • Your new employer must nominate your position before the 90 day period expires

It’s important to remember that you can’t start working for your new employer until their 457 nomination is approved. This takes around 2 – 4 weeks.

The two year requirement

A common route to permanent residency is to be employer sponsored on the temporary transition pathway.
This requires you to have worked for two years on a 457 visa. But, you must be working for the same employer, in the same location.
So, changing employers within this two year period causes the two year requirement to restart.
This is obviously a really important factor to consider. If you’ve just started out with your employer, it may not pose much of an issue. However, if you’ve worked for one employer for a year and a half, it’s probably best to stick it out and make it to the two year mark.

It’s better to be safe than sorry

Changing employers can get tricky. For example, if you don’t find a new employer within 90 days who has nominated your position, you may no longer be in Australia legally. If you’re thinking about changing employers, get in touch. We’ll handle the process, and make sure you’re not jeopardising your chances of permanent residency.

About us

PocketLegal is available to assist with all aspects of the Australian immigration process from beginning to end. If you need help with visa applications, sponsoring staff members, AAT Appeals, Federal Circuit Court hearings, or any other migration related issue then contact our friendly team via the form on this page or by calling 1300 921 114.

Make an Enquiry

    By submitting this form, you consent to PocketLegal sending you marketing emails (you can unsubscribe at any time!), in accordance with our Privacy Policy.