Graduate Visas (485)

You’ve finished a professional course in Australia, and you want to stay. We will find the best migration pathway for you to begin your career. Our migration lawyers in Sydney and Melbourne will handle your temporary graduate visa, and can assess your suitability for permanent options, such as sponsored work visas and skilled independent visas.

The Graduate Temporary Visa (subclass 485) allows you to live and work in Australia for up to 4 more years once your student visa has ended. After this, you may be able to transition to other options.

Stay after graduation to kickstart your career

Is a Graduate visa right for me?

A graduate visa will be right for you if you have a recently graduated from a professional course in Australia, and your qualification is either:

  • A higher education degree; or
  • Related to an occupation on the skilled occupation list. Don’t worry, we’ll help you find the occupation that best fits your qualifications.

As well as this, you’ll also need to:

  • Currently hold an eligible student visa; and
  • Be under 50 years of age

If you don’t meet these requirements, we will help you find and apply for a different visa that better fits your life situation.

How long will my Graduate visa last?

The length of your graduate visa will depend on which stream you qualify for.
The graduate visa has two streams – a graduate work stream and a post-study work stream.
The graduate work stream is suitable for those with qualifications that relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list. Graduate visas of this type last for 18 months.
The post-study work stream is suitable for those with a higher education degree, regardless of field of study. Graduate visas of this type last between two and four years, depending on the level of your qualification.

Can I include my family in my Graduate visa?

Yes, you can. You can include your spouse or de facto partner and any dependent children or step children up to 23 years of age (subject to some exceptions). You will need to provide evidence of your relationship, and may also be required to show that your child is dependent on you or your partner. We can help demonstrate this to the Department.

About us

PocketLegal is a migration law firm managing all aspects of the Australian immigration process from beginning to end. If you need assistance with visa applications, sponsoring staff members, AAT Appeals, FCC hearings, or any other migration related issue contact our friendly team via the form on this page or by calling 1300 921 114.

Make an Enquiry