186 Visa – Employer Nomination Scheme

186 Visa

You’ve found a job you love, and now you’re looking to live and work in Australia permanently. If your employer is thinking of sponsoring your permanent residency, the 186 visa could be one of your best options.

The 186 visa is a sponsored work visa that lets you live and work in Australia permanently. To be eligible for this visa, you must be sponsored by your employer. You will also need certain skills and experience that meet the requirements of the occupation your employer is nominating you for.

If you are granted a 186 visa, you will become a permanent resident. This means you will be able to access Medicare, travel in and out of Australia as often as you choose, and can apply for citizenship once you become eligible.

What are the requirements for a 186 visa?

The 186 visa has three streams – the temporary residence transition stream, direct entry stream, and labour agreement stream. The requirements for the visa will vary depending on which stream you are applying for. However, all streams share the following requirements:

  • You are nominated by an approved Australian employer for an occupation on the Medium to Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), unless a labour agreement with the Department provides otherwise
  • You have evidence of at least three years of relevant work experience
  • You are under 45 years of age (limited exceptions can apply to this)
  • You have at least competent English (exceptions can apply for the labour agreement stream)
  • You have the required skills and qualifications for the position you have been nominated for
  • You meet the health and character requirements

An Occupation on the MLTSSL

To apply for a 186 visa, your employer must nominate you for an occupation on the MLTSSL. You will then need to meet the skills and qualifications requirements within this occupation.

The Temporary Residence Transition Stream (TRT)

The temporary residence transition stream (TRT) is for applicants who hold medium-term TSS visas, or 457 visas, and worked for their current employer during their visa duration. In addition to other requirements, to apply for this stream you must have worked for your employer full-time and in the same position you are being sponsored under for at least three out of the previous four years, or two out of three years for 457 visa holders.

Direct Entry Stream

Applying through the Direct Entry stream can be a faster way of obtaining PR for those who are eligible. The stream requires a positive a skills assessment for the occupation you are applying for.

Labour Agreement Stream

The labour agreement stream is for applicants whose employer has entered into a labour agreement with the Department. This agreement must provide for a permanent residency pathway.

What does an employer need to do?

As an employer sponsored visa, the nominating business must prepare a Nomination. This needs to show the Department that there is a position available for you to fill. Nominations must meet a wide variety of requirements, and the process can be complex, with a variety of legal and regulatory needs to be met.

Last Note

Looking for a Sponsored Work Visa Migration Agent or Immigration Lawyer in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane? We can help. Contact us today to find out how we can make your work visa application easy and stress free.

About us

PocketLegal is a migration specialist law firm managing all aspects of the Australian immigration process from beginning to end.

If you need assistance with visa applications, sponsoring staff members, AAT Appeals, FCC hearings, or any other migration related issue then book in a time to speak with one of our experts.

Book a Consultation