defacto visa

How do I prepare a defacto partner visa?

You’ve been living with your partner, and now you want to continue your life together in Australia. Even if you and your partner are not legally married, you can still apply as a de facto couple for a permanent Australian visa. However, you must meet the specific eligibility requirements for a de facto relationship.

Is a De facto Visa right for me?

In order to apply for this kind of visa, either yourself or your partner must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

As well as this, you and your partner must:

  • Be in a de facto relationship
  • Have been in this relationship for at least 12 months, OR meet the requirements for an exemption

What is a De Facto Relationship?

You and your partner are in a de facto relationship if all of the following applies:

  • You are not legally married to each other
  • You have a genuine, and continuing relationship
  • You are committed to a shared life, to the exclusion of all others
  • You live together, or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis
  • You are not related by family

Can I include my children in a De Facto Visa?

If you have children aged under 17 years, you can easily include them in your partner visa, although the Department will charge an additional cost per child. If your children are 18 years or older, you can include them as long as you can show they are dependent on you. We can help you prove this in your application.

About us

PocketLegal is available to assist with all aspects of the Australian immigration process from beginning to end. If you need help with visa applications, sponsoring staff members, AAT Appeals, Federal Circuit Court hearings, or any other migration related issue then contact our friendly team via the form on this page or by calling 1300 921 114.

Make an Enquiry

    By submitting this form, you consent to PocketLegal sending you marketing emails (you can unsubscribe at any time!), in accordance with our Privacy Policy.