Prospective Marriage Visa (300)

Prospective Marriage Visa (300)

You’ve found the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. Now you’ve decided to get married. A prospective marriage visa can provide the opportunity for you and your partner to reunite for your marriage, while you plan the rest of your lives together. For those looking to stay in Australia permanently, it may also be an ideal pathway to a partner visa.

What is the prospective marriage visa (300)?

The prospective marriage visa is a temporary visa that allows you to come to Australia for up to nine months, while you and your partner get married. You don’t need to marry in Australia, but you must enter Australia at least once on the prospective marriage visa before you marry.

You must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa. If you are already in Australia, speak to us about other options that may better suit your situation.

Once you’ve been granted the prospective marriage visa, you can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want before the visa expires, and you can also work in Australia during this time.

What are the requirements for a 300 visa?

To apply, your prospective spouse must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, and agree to sponsor the applicant’s visa.
In addition, you must:

  • Intend to marry your prospective spouse, in a way that is valid under Australian law, within 9 months of the visa grant date
  • Intend to live as spouses after you are married
  • Know your prospective spouse and have met in person since you both turned 18
  • Not be related to your prospective spouse
  • Not be married to anyone else
  • Be at least 18 years of age

You will need to provide proof of each of these criteria to the Department, as well as a written history of your relationship.

What do I do after we are married?

After your wedding, you and your partner must decide where you wish to reside in Australia on a permanent basis.

For those looking to stay in Australia long term, the next step is usually to apply for an onshore partner visa. This partner visa will allow you to remain in Australia with your spouse permanently. It will also allow you to stay in Australia while your partner visa is being processed, so you and your partner can start your life together. The ability to apply for an onshore partner visa is one of the main reasons to choose a prospective marriage visa. Otherwise you may need to apply for an offshore partner visa, and wait offshore while your visa is processed.

Can I add my children to a prospective marriage visa?

You can include your dependent children or stepchildren in your prospective marriage visa application. Once you are granted your visa, your children will have the same rights and visa conditions as you.

Looking for a Partner Visa Migration Agent or Immigration Lawyer in Sydney or Melbourne? We can help. Contact us today to find out how we can make your prospective marriage visa application simple and hassle-free.

About us

PocketLegal is a migration specialist law firm managing all aspects of the Australian immigration process from beginning to end.

If you need assistance with visa applications, sponsoring staff members, AAT Appeals, FCC hearings, or any other migration related issue then book in a time to speak with one of our experts.

Book a Consultation