how to check visa status

How to check your visa and application status

When considering what visa to apply for, it’s very important that you know your visa status, and are aware of when your current visa runs out. Conditions contained on your visa such as the “no further stay” condition also limit the visa options you are able to apply for. For this reason, when considering your migration alternatives, checking your current visa status is the best way to start. In this article, we’ll explain how.

How do I check the details of my current visa?

The easiest way to check the details of your visa is online, using the VEVO service. You can access the VEVO service here. Select ‘check your own visa details’, and follow the steps to complete the process. If you have a migration agent or lawyer, they can also help you to check your current visa status using the VEVO process.

To check your visa status using VEVO you will need your travel document, passport, or ImmiCard details. You’ll also need one of the following reference numbers:

  • Transaction Reference Number (TRN)
  • Visa Grant Number
  • Visa Evidence Number

If you used an ImmiAccount to apply for your visa, you can find your visa grant number or transaction reference number through the account. You can also find your visa grant number on the visa grant notification you received by email or post.

If you do not have one of these numbers, then you’ll need to request one, through the VEVO request for reference numbers form. You will receive a response within five working days which contains a number.

Once you have completed your VEVO check, there might be times when you want to send your visa details to someone else. You can do this using the ‘send email’ function from the ‘entitlement details’ screen within VEVO.

How do I check the status of my current visa application?

You can check the progress of your online application using your ImmiAccount. If you have submitted your visa through a migration agent or lawyer, ask them to check on the status of your application for you.

How do I update my details for my visa application?

If you need to update your details after your application has been lodged, you can also do this through your ImmiAccount, or you can complete a Form 929 Change of Contact and/or Passport Details, and email this to

If you have already lodged your visa or citizenship application, and you need to report a change in circumstances, such as family changes, relationship breakdowns, or change in employer, then you will need to update your information using a Form 1022 – Notification of Changes in Circumstances, and send the form to the area processing your application.

If you need further help with your migration matter, get in touch with our friendly team.

About us

PocketLegal is available to assist with all aspects of the Australian immigration process from beginning to end. If you need help with visa applications, sponsoring staff members, AAT Appeals, Federal Circuit Court hearings, or any other migration related issue then contact our friendly team via the form on this page or by calling 1300 921 114.

Make an Enquiry

    By submitting this form, you consent to PocketLegal sending you marketing emails (you can unsubscribe at any time!), in accordance with our Privacy Policy.