From a Graduate 485 Visa, to Permanent Residency (PR)

graduate visa 485 to Permanent residency PR

If you hold a 485 Graduate Visa and are considering pathways to Permanent Residency (PR), there are a few ways to get there.

Firstly, congratulations on completing your studies, and being able to obtain your 485. But the journey has only begun! Luckily, you most likely do have options.

In summary, your options could include:

  • A Training Visa (subclass 407), and then progressing to one of the below
  • A Sponsored Visa (such as the 482, and then the 186)
  • A Skilled Independent Visa (such as the 190 or the 189)

Sponsored Visas vs Skilled Independent Visas – What’s the difference?

A Sponsored Visa is one that is linked to an employer who ‘sponsors’ the visa. 

To obtain PR on a sponsored visa, you must have an employer who agrees to sponsor you to stay in Australia, under the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) – either the 186, or the 494.

A Skilled independent visa doesn’t require you to be sponsored by an employer. Rather you would apply based on your own experience, qualifications, and other attributes. Visas in this grouping include the 189, the 190, and the 491.

While a skilled independent visa is appealing, many graduates may find it challenging to meet the points thresholds if they are yet to build enough professional experience.

Moving from a Graduate 485 Visa to a Sponsored Visa

If you’re thinking of moving from a Graduate Visa to a permanent sponsored visa, there’s a few things you need to keep in mind.

First, and most obviously, you’ll need to find an employer who will sponsor your visa. This employer will need to be (or become) a Standard Business Sponsor in order to sponsor you. Migration lawyers such as ourselves can guide your employer through this process.

Secondly, the position you are applying for needs to be on the relevant skills occupation list. 

Third, you’ll need to meet to the work experience requirements for the visa you are applying for. If, for example, you are applying for a 186 visa under the Direct Entry stream, without holding another sponsored work visa first, you will need at least 3 years work experience in your occupation. This may be hard for you to achieve if your Graduate Visa was less than 3 years in length.

If you are unable to meet the work experience requirements, you could consider applying for a Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (TSS) while you continue to work for your employer and build up the necessary qualifications to then apply for a 186.

Moving from a Graduate 485 Visa to a Skilled Independent Visa

If you’re moving from a Graduate 485 visa to a Skilled Independent Visa, you won’t need to worry about finding an employer who will sponsor you. However, there are a number of other considerations to bear in mind.

Skilled Independent visas are points tested. This means that you will be awarded points based on a number of different criteria, including your work experience, English level, and qualification level. You must meet the points test benchmark of 65 to be eligible for the visa, however a higher number of points can significantly reduce wait times.

You will also need to complete a skills assessment that shows that you have skills matching one of the occupations on the MTLSSL occupation list. A skills assessment involves an independent industry body assessing your qualifications and employment history against the suitability of your nominated occupation.

A Training Visa – Subclass 407

The Subclass 407 Training Visa is designed for individuals who wish to undertake occupational training or professional development in Australia. It allows visa holders to participate in structured workplace-based training to enhance their skills and experience in their occupation or area of specialisation.

For someone seeking permanent residency (PR), the 407 visa can serve as a valuable pathway by providing an opportunity to gain practical work experience which may enhance their eligibility for skilled migration programs or employer-sponsored visas. By acquiring relevant Australian work experience and skills through the 407 visa, individuals may strengthen their prospects for obtaining permanent residency in Australia.

Overall, the 407 visa can be used as a springboard for someone who wants PR by providing an opportunity to build experience up so that they can then move to a 482 and then to other visas. 

Be Prepared

For the best chance of successfully transitioning from a Graduate Visa to a Permanent Work Visa, you will need to be prepared. Talking to a migration agent ahead of time can help you come up with a migration plan you can work towards, and maximise your chances of eligibility.

About us

PocketLegal is available to assist with all aspects of the Australian immigration process from beginning to end. If you need help with visa applications, sponsoring staff members, AAT Appeals, Federal Circuit Court hearings, or any other migration related issue then book in a time to speak with one of our experts.

Book a Consultation